Welcome to the Boll Weevil Cafe and Sweetery. We are often asked about the history of our restaurant and the surrounding area. Our main building with the old hand hewn beams was constructed prior to 1850 as one of several cotton warehouses on the property. In fact most of the riverfront land in Augusta during the 1850’s was used for some aspect of the cotton trade. In 1873 the Georgia Railroad Company extended the Port Royal to Yemassee Railroad to Augusta. In 1896 this railroad became known as the Charleston and Western Carolina Railroad with the local terminal located across the street where the Marriott Suites now sits. In 1919 Fredrick Harrison, a young freight clerk with C&WC, bought the then abandoned cotton sheds across from the station and started Reliable Transfer Company which delivered freight from the railroad to downtown businesses on mule drawn wagons. The office was located in the small red dining room in the front and the arched opening in the wall housed a pot bellied stove.

Rate us and Write a Review

Your review is recommended to be at least 140 characters long


Show all timings
  • Monday11:00 AM - 09:00 PM
  • Tuesday11:00 AM - 09:00 PM
  • Wednesday11:00 AM - 09:00 PM
  • Thursday11:00 AM - 09:00 PM
  • Friday11:00 AM - 10:00 PM
  • Saturday11:00 AM - 10:00 PM
  • Sunday12:00 PM - 08:00 PM
building Own or work here? Claim Now! Claim Now!

imageYour request has been submitted successfully.